Berarngutta picnic area
New England National Park
Berarngutta picnic area in New England National Park is located near the trackhead for Eagles Nest walking track and nearby Point lookout circuit.
- Picnic areas
- New England National Park
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
This quiet grassy clearing is a charming spot to have a picnic amongst the snow gums. It’s ideal for small groups wanting to be conveniently near to Point lookout, yet away from the road. A walking track here links to the Point lookout circuit and through the snow gum woodland to Platypus Valley lookout on the Eagles Nest walking track.
Visitors often spot eastern grey kangaroos here, and on the walk to Platypus Valley lookout. Black and white currawongs scavenge around the picnic area. White-throated treecreepers bound up trunks searching under bark for insects. Flame robins may also be seen flitting in the treetops in search of food.
When the tea trees are in bloom, insects swarm to feed on the flowers. Many spectacular and brilliant chafers, jewel-beetles and soldier beetles may be seen. This is one of the few places where coastal and alpine species of butterflies are seen together and during the short breeding season they appear here in unusually large numbers, making for a spectacular sight. Over 50 species of butterflies are known from the upper section of New England National Park alone.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in New England National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
New England National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.