Point lookout walking track
New England National Park
It only takes 20 minutes to negotiate the easy Point lookout walking track, but the views from this sealed track, within New England National Park, are truly stunning.
- New England National Park
- 0.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 15 - 30min
- Grade 1
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, suitable clothing
- Please note
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited reception in this park – Point lookout offers the best reception in the park.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
Everyone who visits New England National Park should ensure they take a stroll around Point lookout walking track, located 1500m above sea level at the edge of the Great Escarpment. On a clear day, a 180-degree panorama takes in this World Heritage Area right out to Pacific Ocean, 70 kilometres away.
The bushland surrounding the 500m track is dominated by spectacular snow gums, but in summer cast your eyes down into the rainforest valleys to spot the bright red flowers of the flame trees.
As you’re enjoying the view at the lookouts along the way, watch for spine-tailed swifts soaring on the air currents and hunting for flying insects. Grey goshawk can also be seen hovering and seeking out larger prey – listen for their distinctive screeching.
The initial section of Point lookout circuit – about 100m to the first lookout – is flat and easily accessed by those in a wheelchair or with mobility issues.
NSW national parks offers some amazing access-friendly walking tracks suitable for people with disability. Escape the city and explore some of the picturesque wheelchair-accessible tracks on offer.
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in New England National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
New England National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.