New England National Park
Point lookout is a must-see destination for visitors to New England National Park, offering panoramic views across World Heritage rainforest to the ocean in the distance.
- New England National Park
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
Point lookout is the must-see destination for visitors to New England National Park. Perched on the edge of the Great Escarpment, it offers panoramic views across World Heritage rainforest to the ocean in the distance.
At sunrise, the mist in the valley turns from orange to pink as the sun erupts above the distant horizon. It’s no wonder this is one of the most photographed sunrises on the NSW North Coast.
Accessible to all, Point lookout is a 200m walk from the carpark on a wheelchair-friendly track. Pack a picnic, have a barbeque and spend a few hours relaxing and admiring the view. Read about the wonders of the Gondwana rainforest, Aboriginal cultural heritage and the history of this impressive location in the picnic shelter.
While you’re there, why not venture off to discover the rainforest below on the many walking tracks that start here?
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in New England National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
New England National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.