Snow Gum walk
New England National Park
Snow Gum walk in New England National Park offers a scenic stroll through World Heritage rainforest. Just 1km and suitable for all ages, it’s ideal as a quick family outing.
- No wheelchair access
- 1km one-way
- Time suggested
- 20 - 35min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, suitable clothing
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch.
Winding through New England wilderness and World Heritage rainforest, Snow Gum walk is a treat for the senses.
Starting from Point lookout carpark, you’ll follow this leisurely walk south along the cliffside to Banksia Point picnic area, enjoying breathtaking views and 2 stunning lookouts along the way. It’s perfect if you want to experience the beauty of New England National Park without tackling a challenging hike.
As you walk, see if you can spot the brilliantly coloured crimson rosellas flying through the trees. And listen out for the calls of lyrebirds, which you can often hear in this area.
The high altitude can make Snow Gum walk a little cold in winter, but during the warmer months it’s quite comfortable. In spring the snow gum woodland is carpeted with snowgrass and vibrant wildflowers.
If you’re keen to keep the adventure going after you complete Snow Gum walk, you can extend your journey and explore Lyrebird walking track.
It only takes 20 minutes to negotiate the easy Point lookout walking track, but the views from this sealed track, within New England National Park, are truly stunning.
Lyrebird walking track in New England Park is a great place for birdwatching and enjoying a bushwalk in a Gondwana rainforest environment.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in New England National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
New England National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.