Lyrebird walking track
New England National Park
Lyrebird walking track in New England Park is a great place for birdwatching and enjoying a bushwalk in a Gondwana rainforest environment.
- New England National Park
- 5.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, suitable clothing
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
Lyrebird walking track is a 5.5km circuit walk through New England National Park that takes walkers through an enchanting range of environments, including eucalypt forest and cool temperate rainforest, along basalt cliffs and past babbling brooks, historic signposts, waterfalls and colourful heath. Marvel at a constantly changing feast of expansive views. At dawn, valley-mist swirls like a white lake between the higher peaks and rises to embrace early morning walkers.
Immerse yourself in the ancient Gondwana where the calls of the superb lyrebirds may be heard echoing up and down the valleys, especially in winter when the males' mating calls reach a crescendo. King parrots and crimson rosellas swerve through the treetops whilst yellow-tailed black cockatoos screech into the valleys below. Rufous and grey fantails are also intriguing to watch as their tails are splayed and angled to manoeuvre quickly after flying prey.
If you’d prefer a shorter walk, return to Banksia Point via Tree Fern Valley (1.5km). This walk also links to Eagles Nest walking track (7km) or Wrights lookout walking track and Cascades walking track (9.3km).
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in New England National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
New England National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Coffs Harbour office
02 6652 0900
Contact hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 32 Marina Drive, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coffs Harbour office