Glenbrook area in Blue Mountains National Park
Wheelchair-accessible Portal lookout offers gorge and river views with abseiling and climbing options, near Western Sydney, in Blue Mountains National Park.
- Glenbrook area in Blue Mountains National Park
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
If you’re driving into the Glenbrook area, the gates are open:
- First Sunday in October to first Sunday in April 8.30am to 7pm
- Rest of year 8.30am to 6pm
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
Perched atop the lower ridges of Blue Mountains National Park, Portal lookout offers magnificent views of the junction between Glenbrook Gorge and the mighty Nepean River. With a wheelchair-accessible path, it’s a perfect pit stop on a car tour or a base for more adventurous thrill seekers who love abseiling and climbing.
Gazing across the dramatic tree-lined gorge to the water, you’ll see how the grand sweep of Nepean River opens up to the Cumberland Plains on the western edge of Sydney. Evidence that the ridge top was an ancient river bed can be found in the large rounded pebbles, called lapstones.
The shapely angophoras, with their elegantly contorted limbs, thrive in this rugged terrain and bearded dragons are often seen sunning themselves on the surrounding rocky outcrops.
Take a virtual tour of Portal lookout captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Bush Trackers was created to encourage children to engage with the environment in and around the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage area. This program highlights the natural and cultural splendour of the greater Blue Mountains through education initiatives and bushwalks.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- in the Glenbrook area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
- From the first Sunday in October to the first Sunday in April: park gates are open 8.30am to 7pm.
- Rest of the year: park gates are open 8.30am to 6pm.
$8 per vehicle per day applies at the Bruce Road entrance to the Glenbrook area.Buy annual pass