Careys Peak lookout
Barrington Tops National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Careys Peak lookout.
Getting there and parking
Careys Peak lookout is in the Barrington Tops precinct of Barrington Tops National Park. The lookout can only be accessed by foot. To get there:
- Take Thunderbolts Way; this road becomes Scone Road and Barrington Tops Forest Road.
- Turn left into Barrington trail at Barrington trail picnic area located on the left after passing Devils Hole
- Follow Barrington trail for approximately 15km to Mount Barrington picnic area
- Barrington trail is only open to vehicles from October 1 – May 31
- From Mount Barrington picnic area follow Careys Peak walking track to the lookout
- Take the Hunter Road from Scone
- Turn right on to Moonan Brook Road, then turn left on Barrington Tops Forest Road.
- Turn into Barrington trail, which is on the right 1km past Polblue.
- Barrington trail is only open to vehicles from October 1 – May 31.
- Follow Barrington trail for around 15km to Mount Barrington
Alternatively, the lookout can also be accessed via:
- Dungog - starting from Lagoon Pinch picnic area and walking up Corker trail
- Link Trail - Gloucester Tops to Careys Peak
- Aeroplane Hill walking track via Junction Pools campground
Access via Gloucester or Scone requires a 4WD vehicle.
- Unsealed roads
- Dry weather only
Parking is available at:
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Barrington Tops National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Take to the park's walking tracks to make the most of cooler and drier daytime weather.
Look out for ground orchids and other wildflowers along the Polblue Swamp walking track.
Look out for the eastern water dragon basking on rocks around the streams.
Toilets are located at Wombat Creek campground.
Maps and downloads
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422