Aeroplane Hill walking track
Barrington Tops National Park
Scone access only
The severe weather event in March 2021 has severely damaged Barrington Tops Forest Road, forcing Forestry Corporation of NSW to close the road. Until the road is fixed you can only access this location from Scone (the west). You can't access it from Gloucester (the east).
Aeroplane Hill walking track offers scenic views, wildlife, and wetlands in the sub-alpine region of Barrington Tops National Park, between Scone and Gloucester.
- Barrington Tops National Park
- 6km one-way
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Please note
- Barrington trail is open to vehicles from 1 October–31 May
- Check the weather or contact NPWS Gloucester area office on (02) 6538 5300 before you set out. Access via Barrington trail to Aeroplane Hill walking track, may be closed at other times of year due to snow, ice and rain.
- Weather can change quickly and dramatically in the plateau region, so please ensure you arrive well-prepared.
- If you’re bushwalking in this park, it’s a good idea to bring a topographic map, compass and GPS.
- A water-based mould (Phytophthora cinnamomi) is prevalent in this area. The mould attacks the roots of plants causing them to rot, causing a dieback of trees and plants. Efforts are in place to contain the area of contamination north of Black Swamp. Assist the long-term containment of the mould by cleaning your shoes before and after entering this region.
- A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat and plenty of water
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
At an altitude of 1,500m, you’ll have your head in the clouds on this high country track that captures the rare beauty of the plateau region of Barrington Tops National Park, between Scone and Gloucester. From Junction Pools campground, Aeroplane Hill walking track takes in scenic woodlands and wetlands linking with spectacular Careys Peak lookout, where you can gaze out at views to the coast.
Crossing Barrington River, you’ll pass through snow grass studded with snow and mountain gums. Approaching Black Swamp campground, notice how the landscape changes, giving way to sedges. This unique sub-alpine area is a hotbed for rare and threatened species of plants and wildlife, with some only found in this region, such as the broad-toothed rat and several rare ground orchids.
Pitch your tent at walk-in Wombat Creek campground and enjoy a night under the stars, or retrace your steps to your car.
Take a virtual tour of Aeroplane Hill walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.