Aeroplane Hill walking track
Barrington Tops National Park
Aeroplane Hill walking track offers scenic views, wildlife, and wetlands in the sub-alpine region of Barrington Tops National Park, between Scone and Gloucester.
- 6km one-way
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Compass, topographic map, gps, drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Barrington trail is only open to vehicles from October 1 to May 31. Temporary closures may occur during this period due to weather conditions. Check alerts for current closures.
- Check the weather or contact Gloucester office before you set out. Weather can change quickly and dramatically in the plateau region, please arrive well prepared.
- A water-based mould (Phytophthora cinnamomi) is prevalent in this area. The mould attacks the roots of plants causing them to rot, causing a dieback of trees and plants. Efforts are in place to contain the area of contamination north of Black Swamp. Assist the long-term containment of the mould by cleaning your shoes before and after entering this region.
At an altitude of 1,500m, you’ll have your head in the clouds on this high country track that captures the rare beauty of the plateau region of Barrington Tops National Park, between Scone and Gloucester. From Junction Pools campground, Aeroplane Hill walking track takes in scenic woodlands and wetlands linking with spectacular Careys Peak lookout, where you can gaze out at views to the coast.
Crossing Barrington River, you’ll pass through snow grass studded with snow and mountain gums. Approaching Black Swamp campground, notice how the landscape changes, giving way to sedges. This unique sub-alpine area is a hotbed for rare and threatened species of plants and wildlife, with some only found in this region, such as the broad-toothed rat and several rare ground orchids.
Pitch your tent at walk-in Wombat Creek campground and enjoy a night under the stars, or retrace your steps to your car.
Take a virtual tour of Aeroplane Hill walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.