School excursionSpecial Offer
Kosciuszko - a special place
Stage 6 (Years 11-12), Geography, Thredbo-Perisher area
Kosciuszko a special place is a presentation for stage 6 (year 11-12) students focusing on Geography. This excursion highlights the unique natural and cultural features of Kosciuszko National Park, interaction of the four spheres, human impacts, sustainability and park management. Students have the opportunity to have their questions answered by an NPWS education officer.
Read more about Kosciuszko - a special place
Geography: biophysical interactions; ecosystems at risk
This program provides a detailed introduction to the values of the Australian alpine area and the management of an ecosystem at risk. Students will learn about the forces that shaped the mountains, the climate and the unique and restricted plants and animals of the area. Ecosystem disturbances will be explored using examples of historic and current land uses. This program is regularly updated to include park management responses to current conservation issues, including introduced and invasive species and recreational pressures.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 6 (Years 11-12)|
|Key learning area||Geography|
P2. Describes the interactions between the four components which define the biophysical environment.
P3. Explains how a specific environment functions in terms of biophysical factors.
Weekdays all year.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Kosciuszko Education Centre, Thredbo-Perisher area
- Easy. Discovery ranger guided indoor activity.
$4.50 per student. Minimum booking fees apply.
- Meeting point
- Kosciuszko Education Centre, Kosciuszko Road at Sawpit Creek, 14kms from Jindabyne towards Perisher.
- Yes. Presentation and displays.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Kosciuszko Education Centre
- 02 6451 3700
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass