School excursionSpecial Offer
Above the treeline
Stage 6 (Years 11-12), Geography, Thredbo-Perisher area
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Above the treeline is a Stage 6 (Years 11-12) school excursion in Kosciuszko National Park which focuses on geography as a KLA. Explore the interactions of the atmosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and biosphere in the alpine area on a guided walk to the summit of Mt Kosciuszko or to picturesque, glacial Blue Lake.
Read more about Above the treeline
Students observe and record atmospheric conditions, plant adaptations, glacial and human impacts and learn about management strategies.
Geography: Ecosystems at risk; Biophysical interactions.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 6 (Years 11-12)|
P2. Describes the interactions between the four components which define the biophysical environment.
P3. Explains how a specific environment functions in terms of biophysical factors.
P9. Uses maps, graphs and statistics, photographs and fieldwork to conduct geographical inquiries.
Weekdays November to April.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Kosciuszko walk - Thredbo to Mount Kosciuszko, Thredbo-Perisher area
- 3hrs 30min
- Medium. Both walks have some steps or steep sections and uneven surfaces.
$400 per group for up to 20 students (includes GST). For groups over 20 conditions apply.
- No wheelchair access
- Yes. Worksheet masters, weather recording instruments, flora and fauna identification material and raincoats with hoods for those that need them.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Kosciuszko Education Centre
- 02 6451 3700
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass