Island Bend campground
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Island Bend campground.
Getting there and parking
Island Bend campground is in the Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there from Jindabyne:
- Follow Kosciuszko Road towards Perisher Valley
- After around 23km turn right into Guthega Road
- Access to Island Bend campground is located 6km along Guthega Road
All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on:
- Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher)
- Guthega Road
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
Chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- Most roads suitable for 2WD vehicles (no long vehicle access)
- Snow chains required after snow
Parking is available at this campground.
Water is available from the nearby Snowy River but should be treated before drinking.
- Non-flush toilets
Gas and fuel stoves are recommended in summer during fire season. Wood barbecues are not permitted on days of total fire ban.
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
- Fire rings (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
- Wheelchairs can access this area with some difficulty.
- Parking is available next to campsites.
- Toilet facilities are wheelchair-accessible.
Firewood is not supplied but deadwood may be collected at the campground.
Chainsaws are not permitted.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass