Tomaree National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Tomaree National Park.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Tomaree National Park is easily accessible from Nelson Bay and Anna Bay. It surrounds the towns of Boat Harbour, Shoal Bay and Fingal Bay.
- Take the Pacific Highway from Newcastle or Buladelah, turn east into Richardson Road and continue along Nelson Bay Road.
- For Anna Bay and Boat Harbour, turn right into Gan Gan Road
- For Shoal Bay and Fingal Bay, continue along Stockton Street before turning right into Victoria Parade. Continue along Shoal Bay Road which becomes Government Road and then Marine Drive.
Park entry points
- Fingal Beach Surf Life Saving Club See on map
- Tomaree Crescent access See on map
- Tomaree Head carpark See on map
- Fishermans Bay foreshore See on map
- Sealed roads
Check out the Bicycle information for NSW website for more information.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Tomaree National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
A fabulous time to experience Tomaree's wildflowers display.
Cool off with a dip at Shoal Bay or Box beach, or try snorkelling at Zenith beach; a gorgeous and protected marine sanctuary.
Fishermans Bay and Boat Harbour are the best places to spot humpback whales as they migrate north between May and July or you can take a guided tour.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
17°C and 27°C
8°C and 19°C
May and June
October and November
Maps and downloads
Please note that parts of Tomaree National Park are not open to vehicle access. Please contact the Nelson Bay park office before heading out to confirm access.
- in the North Coast region
Tomaree National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Nelson Bay office
02 4984 8200
Contact hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- Level 1, 12B Teramby Road, Nelson Bay NSW 2315
- Nelson Bay office
Nelson Bay (4 km)
Nelson Bay is a major holiday playground and the main resort area of Port Stephens. It's located on the southern shores of Port Stephens.
Newcastle (55 km)
Newcastle is a harbour city surrounded by amazing surf beaches that are linked by a great coastal walk, the Bathers Way. The walk from Nobbys Beach to Merewether Beach takes about three hours and is a great way to explore the city.
Bulahdelah (96 km)
Buladelah is the gateway to Myall Lakes National Park. It's situated on the Myall River, with a backdrop of soaring, forested hills.