World War II gun emplacements
Tomaree National Park
Discover the military history of Port Stephens on a guided tour of the historic gun emplacements at Tomaree Head in Tomaree National Park on the north coast of NSW.
- Historic buildings/places
- Tomaree National Park
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- You'll need to take Fort Tomaree walk to get here.
- Take care along the steep sections on this walk as well as paved areas that can become slippery when wet.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to whale watch – the best time of year is between May and October.
If you’re interested in Australian military history, make sure you take the short walk along Fort Tomaree walk to Tomaree Head. The headland, part of Fort Tomaree, played an important role in Australia’s east coast defence system during World War II. Fort Tomaree included search light stations, a radar tower, torpedo tubes and barracks, where around 500 army, navy and air force personnel served.
Most of the Fort’s buildings and guns have been removed; however the historic gun emplacements remain, a visual reminder of Australia’s military history. It’s easy to see why this location was chosen – the headland features panoramic views of Port Stephens and the coast. If you’d like to find out more, check out the interpretive panels near the emplacements, or take a guided Discovery tour.
On the way back to the car, take Tomaree Head Summit walk to the summit of Tomaree Head for a picturesque view of Port Stephens.
Take a virtual tour of the World War II gun emplacements captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Nelson Bay office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4984 8200
- Level 1, 12B Teramby Road, Nelson Bay NSW 2315
- in Tomaree National Park in the North Coast region
Tomaree National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.