Gould's petrel immersive story Tomaree Head
Tomaree National Park
See the amazing journey of the Gould’s petrel come to life with our augmented reality immersive story. Enjoy this mobile experience at Tomaree National Park, or without leaving home.
- What to
- Mobile phone, headphones
'The Petrel, the Love-box and the Egg' is an innovative augmented reality experience. It gives you a window into one of Australia’s rarest seabirds through 3D illustrations, animation, interactive graphics, and audio, using your mobile device.
It’s best experienced on location at Tomaree Head summit lookout, near Port Stephens. Enjoy the views across the water to the islands where the endangered petrels breed as you discover the remarkable story of the Gould’s petrel’s lifecycle, and successful conservation efforts led by NSW National Parks (NPWS).
But you don’t need to visit Tomaree National Park to enjoy this experience. Whether you’re at home or in the park, you can connect with this immersive story on your mobile device via the free NPWS mobile app.
Experience at Tomaree National Park
- Look for signs along Tomaree Head Summit walk showing how to download the story.
- Scan the QR code on the signs at the start of the walk or at the summit's lookout to launch your interactive story. These link to the NPWS app, where the AR story can be viewed on location.
- You can also download the NPWS app before you visit.
Experience at home, anywhere, anytime
- Simply download and open the free NSW National Parks mobile app for iOS or Android.
- Go to Immersive stories to view the Gould's petrel immersive story and ‘tap to begin‘.
Let us know what you thought after you've watched this immersive AR experience.
Tomaree Head Summit walk offers a short but challenging hike and picturesque ocean views across Port Stephens and beyond. It's a must-see destination if you're in the area.
Discover the military history of Port Stephens on a guided tour of the historic gun emplacements at Tomaree Head in Tomaree National Park on the north coast of NSW.
Fort Tomaree walk is an easy walk that runs just below Tomaree Head Summit walk and takes you to the World War II gun emplacements, used in the defence of east coast Australia during World War II.
- Nelson Bay office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4984 8200
- Level 1, 12B Teramby Road, Nelson Bay NSW 2315
- in Tomaree National Park in the North Coast region
Tomaree National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.