Tamboi walking track
Myall Lakes National Park
Tamboi walking track is a medium walk, or easy biking, through diverse vegetation ending opposite the historic fishing village of Tamboi, in Myall Lakes National Park.
- Myall Lakes National Park
- 5.6km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Please note
- Toilets and picnic facilities are available at Mungo Brush campground
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat and take plenty of water
An ideal path for walking or cycling, this easy track traces the edge of Bombah Broadwater in the southern section of Myall Lakes National Park, just to the north of Port Stephens. The walking track leads to Tamboi picnic area and the historic fishing village of Tamboi, which is situated across the river.
Tamboi walking track passes through tall swamp forests, where you’ll see cabbage palms and paperbarks as well as swamp mahogany. Look for the startling swamp lilies with their spray of leaves and magnificent white flowers in early summer.
Myall Lakes National Park protects a diversity of forests and lake systems which attracts masses of migratory birds, so bring your binoculars for some excellent birdwatching. Spine tailed swifts are often seen in the skies above in summer, however they rarely land. You might also see white egrets, grebes and kingfishers. For a longer hike continue pass Tamboi along the Mungo walking track.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Booti Booti Office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed public holidays.
- 02 6591 0300
- The Ruins campground, Booti Booti National Park, 4374 The Lakes Way, Booti Booti 2428
- in Myall Lakes National Park in the North Coast region
Myall Lakes National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.
The park has coin/card operated pay and display machines at Mungo Brush campground. NPWS visitor service officers regularly visit camping areas to collect fees from campers and sell annual passes. Day passes and annual passes also available from the Great Lakes Area Office, Bulahdelah and Tea Gardens Visitor Information Centres, and other local outlets.
Bombah Point ferry fees may also apply (cash payment only).Buy annual pass