Summit walking track
Mount Hyland Nature Reserve
A loop through World Heritage rainforest, Summit walking track offers spectacular scenic views, birdwatching and picnic opportunities in Mount Hyland Nature Reserve, near Dorrigo.
- Mount Hyland Nature Reserve
- 3km loop
- Time suggested
- 1 - 2hrs
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this reserve
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
Discover the delights of a cool climate rainforest walk that’s bound to revive your senses. Remote and tranquil, Summit walking track in Mount Hyland Nature Reserve is where the mountains meet the sky. This moderate loop track with short steep climbs is a great leg-stretcher on a 4WD tour of this World Heritage-listed wilderness region near Dorrigo.
Following the loop track through a forest of sassafras and mountain walnut, look for the vibrant coloured fungi. You’ll see huge banksia trees emerge above the rainforest canopy and hear the mimicking cry of the lyrebird echoing through the forest. In summer, the call of the endangered pouched frog can be heard along the walk.
Upon reaching the summit at a height of 1,434m, soak up the views before making your way back. Descending to Vista Point picnic area, enjoy a well-earned lunch.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in Mount Hyland Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Mount Hyland Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.