Vista Point picnic area
Mount Hyland Nature Reserve
For scenic views across spectacular wilderness, Vista Point picnic area offers birdwatching and World Heritage rainforest in Mount Hyland Nature Reserve, near Dorrigo.
- Picnic areas
- Mount Hyland Nature Reserve
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
There’s no need to book ahead for this magnificent lunch spot with superb mountain views. Tucked away in Mount Hyland Nature Reserve, Vista Point picnic area boasts breathtaking scenic views across vast wilderness. Located between Dorrigo and Grafton, this wild and remote spot is a short detour off Chaelundi Road, ideal for those who love bushwalking and birdwatching, and nature-lovers on a 4WD tour.
Stop and inhale the pristine rainforest air and feel the tranquillity descend. As you unwrap your sandwiches, gaze across the million-dollar views of Chaelundi Wilderness to the incredible Gibraltar Range National Park over 70km away.
The crisp clear days of autumn and winter are perfect for taking in the 180-degree vista. Be sure to keep an eye on the sky as majestic wedge-tailed eagles are often seen surfing the updrafts near this sky-high picnic spot.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in Mount Hyland Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Mount Hyland Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.