Vista Point picnic area
Mount Hyland Nature Reserve
All the practical information you need to know about the Vista Point picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Vista Point picnic area is in Mount Hyland Nature Reserve. To get there:
- Turn off Armidale/Grafton Road at Dundurrabin
- Proceed along Sheepstation Road for 6.3km
- Turn left onto Chaelundi Road
- Vista Point turn-off is 10.5km along Chaelundi Road
- Turn off Armidale/Grafton Road at Hernani onto Marengo Road
- Proceed along Marengo Road for 11.4km
- Turn right onto Hardens Road and proceed for 12km
- Turn right onto Chaelundi Rd and proceed for 800m
Via Old Glen Innes/Grafton Road
- At Dalmorton, turn onto Chaelundi Road
- Proceed along Chaelundi Road for 46.5km
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Mount Hyland Nature Reserve can become boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- All roads require 4WD vehicle
- All weather
Parking is available at Vista Point picnic area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Hyland Nature Reserve. Here are some of the highlights.
Walk to the top of the summit for spectacular views across world-class wilderness.
Take the binoculars for some excellent birdwatching as spring heralds the nesting season.
Escape the summer heat with a refreshing walk through temperate rainforest.
The crisp mornings are a great time for taking in the majestic views across the mountain ranges from the lookouts.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
13.8°C and 24°C
4.4°C and 16°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- You’re encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
- Wheelchairs can access this area with some difficulty.
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453