Summit walking track
Mount Hyland Nature Reserve
All the practical information you need to know about Summit walking track.
Grade 4Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
1 - 2hrs
Quality of markings
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Rough track, many obstacles
No experience required
Getting there and parking
Summit walking track starts at Mount Hyland picnic area within Mount Hyland Nature Reserve. To get there:
- Turn off Armidale/Grafton Road at Dundurrabin
- Proceed along Sheepstation Road for 6.3km
- Turn left onto Chaelundi Road and proceed for 11.3km
- Turn left onto Hardens Road and proceed for 5km
- Turn left at the sign for Mount Hyland picnic area and proceed for 1km
- Turn off Armidale/Grafton Road at Hernani onto Marengo Road
- Proceed along Marengo Road for 11.4km
- Turn right onto Hardens Road and proceed for 7km
- Turn right at the sign for Mount Hyland picnic area and drive for 1km
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Summit walking track can become boggy when it rains.
Parking is available at Mount Hyland picnic area, which is at the start of Summit walking track.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Hyland Nature Reserve. Here are some of the highlights.
Walk to the top of the summit for spectacular views across world-class wilderness.
Take the binoculars for some excellent birdwatching as spring heralds the nesting season.
Escape the summer heat with a refreshing walk through temperate rainforest.
The crisp mornings are a great time for taking in the majestic views across the mountain ranges from the lookouts.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
13.8°C and 24°C
4.4°C and 16°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
You’re encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
Maps and downloads
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453