Sphinx Memorial to Bobbin Head loop track
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Sphinx Memorial to Bobbin Head loop track takes in historic Sphinx memorial, and is a moderately challenging walk near North Turramurra.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in Sydney and surrounds
- 10km loop
- Time suggested
- 3hrs 30min - 4hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Sunscreen, drinking water, hat
- Please note
- The Sphinx carpark closes at 5.30pm Monday to Sunday
- You'll find toilets and picnic facilities at Bobbin Head
- The gate between Empire Marina and the entrance to the walking track closes at 4pm. Walkers on the track can exit through this gate to the marina at any time, but will not be able to enter through the gate to start a walk on Warimoo track or Bobbin Head trail after 4pm.
If you like to mix things up a bit, you can’t miss Sphinx Memorial to Bobbin Head loop track. The long walk leads along Bobbin Head trail past open forests of smooth barked apple gum and red bloodwoods to Empire Marina Bobbin Head and historic Halvorsen’s boatshed before arriving at Bobbin Head.
Grab a bite here before joining Warrimoo track, which winds through thick mangroves. Keep an eye out for the Aboriginal middens as you walk – these unique heritage sites are testament to the bountiful food supplies enjoyed by the Aboriginal people of this region.
Joining Sphinx track, a short climb will return you to the Sphinx Memorial and several pyramids among rough barked tree ferns. Enjoy a picnic or break at this peaceful spot.
Visit Bobbin Head picnic area in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park and enjoy a barbecue or a spot of fishing. Go canoeing or hire a paddle boat for a great daytrip from Sydney.
The Sphinx Memorial at Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park was carved out of sandstone by a returned soldier. Explore Australian military history on the Sphinx walking track.
Empire Marina Bobbin Head, just north of Sydney, offers marina berths and moorings, small boat hire, fishing and on-site dining options catering to every visitor in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bobbin Head Information Centre
- 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 8949
- 688 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah, NSW 2079
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. You can also pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.
Under the Plan of Management for this park, prior written approval is required for organised groups of 20 or more people planning to visit this park. Contact the park office before your visit.Buy annual pass