Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
The Sphinx Memorial at Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park was carved out of sandstone by a returned soldier. Explore Australian military history on the Sphinx walking track.
- Historic buildings/places
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
Sphinx Memorial closes at 5.30pm (Monday - Sunday).
- What to
- Drinking water
Sphinx Memorial is a sandstone monument created in memory of lives lost in the First World War and was created by a returned soldier in the 1920s. Bushwalkers exploring Sphinx Memorial to Bobbin Head loop track might be surprised to find this unusual symbol of Australian military history tucked away in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
Grab something to eat at nearby Bobbin Head, or pack your lunch and stop for a picnic at Sphinx Memorial, where you’ll find plenty of grassy spots to sit and relax.
Take a virtual tour of Sphinx Memorial captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Bobbin Head Information Centre
- 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 8949
- 688 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah, NSW 2079
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass