Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
The Sphinx Memorial at Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park was carved out of sandstone by a returned soldier. Explore Australian military history on the Sphinx walking track.
- Historic buildings/places
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
Sphinx Memorial closes at 5.30pm (Monday - Sunday).
- What to
- Drinking water
Sphinx Memorial is a sandstone monument created in memory of lives lost in the First World War and was created by a returned soldier in the 1920s. Bushwalkers exploring Sphinx Memorial to Bobbin Head loop track might be surprised to find this unusual symbol of Australian military history tucked away in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
Grab something to eat at nearby Bobbin Head, or pack your lunch and stop for a picnic at Sphinx Memorial, where you’ll find plenty of grassy spots to sit and relax.
Take a virtual tour of Sphinx Memorial captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bobbin Head Visitor Centre
- 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 8949
- 688 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah, NSW 2079
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. You can also pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.
Under the Plan of Management for this park, prior written approval is required for organised groups of 20 or more people planning to visit this park. Contact the park office before your visit.Buy annual pass