Dorrigo National Park
Satinbird stroll is an easy access trail through Dorrigo’s World Heritage rainforest, ideal for all the family, and offers birdwatching and a great place to picnic.
- Dorrigo National Park
- 0.6km loop
- Time suggested
- 15 - 30min
- Grade 2
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat and drinking water
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
Visitors looking for an easy introduction to Dorrigo’s wonderful rainforest systems can’t go past Satinbird stroll, near the popular The Glade picnic area. The rainforest’s abundance of plant species, vines, epiphytes and buttressed roots are easily visible from the 600m sealed trail, which can accommodate wheelchairs and strollers with a little assistance.
The stroll is named after the satin bowerbird renowned for its remarkable courtship ritual. Birdwatching is superb, so don’t forget to bring a pair of binoculars. You might be lucky enough to spot the stroll’s namesake or perhaps a migrating black-faced monarch between September and March.
To keep the legs moving, consider connecting the stroll to Walk with the Birds boardwalk, or if you’d prefer to relax, return to the picnic area for a long lunch in the warm afternoon sun.
Take a virtual tour of Satinbird stroll captured with Google Street View Trekker.
The Glade picnic area is part of Dorrigo National Park near Coffs Harbour on the NSW north coast. This pretty rainforest clearing offers a great spot for a picnic or barbecue and lots of rainforest walks.
Wind through the trees on wheelchair-accessible Walk with the Birds boardwalk and spot some of the 150 bird species found in Dorrigo National Park.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in Dorrigo National Park in the North Coast region
Dorrigo National Park is open daily (except Christmas Day) 9am to 4.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.