Rocky Crossing walk
Barrington Tops National Park
Rocky Crossing walk along Williams River offers scenic rainforest views, wildlife and birdwatching on a long easy track in Barrington Tops National Park, near Dungog.
- Barrington Tops National Park
- 16km return
- Time suggested
- 6 - 8hrs
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- If you’re bushwalking in this park it’s a good idea to bring a topographic map, compass and GPS.
- A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters
- Toilets and picnic facilities are located at Williams River picnic area and Lagoon Pinch picnic area
This challenging walking track offers subtropical delights as it winds through scenic Williams River valley from Williams River picnic area, with magnificent rainforest views. Take your time and experience a natural wonderland brimming with chances for wildlife spotting and birdwatching in the lush southern reaches of Barrington Tops National Park, near Dungog.
Setting out along Blue Gum loop trail, you will pass through a dense forest of sassafras, red cedar, and giant stinging trees, while listening for lyrebirds and eastern whipbirds. Notice the regeneration of young Sydney blue gums growing up among the older trees, evidence of past logging and fires.
Further along the scenic path, old gums soar above, reaching far beyond the canopy. The track descends to Rocky Crossing with its beautiful mudstone terraces, where Eastern water dragons are often seen. Picnic by the river or head up to Lagoon Pinch picnic area for a hearty lunch before retracing your steps.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.