Blue Gum loop trail
Barrington Tops National Park
A medium length walk, Blue Gum loop trail passes outstanding rainforest and blue gums near Williams River, offering picnicking and scenic views in Barrington Tops National Park near Dungog.
- Barrington Tops National Park
- 3.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Please note
- Strong currents may be present along Williams River – take care in the water and please supervise children at all times.
- A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out, remember to take a hat and bring plenty of water
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
This delightful track offers a soothing riverside walk through patches of untouched forest in Barrington Tops National Park. From Williams River picnic area, Blue Gum loop trail crosses the magnificent Williams River, winding past cascades, eucalypts, and rainforest before joining the southern end of Rocky Crossing walk.
While crossing a high steel span bridge, stop to take in the beautiful views of the river. Passing through vigorous young Sydney blue gums, you’ll see signs of past logging along the track. Further on, a short detour leads to scenic Fern Creek cascades, where you might be tempted to unroll the picnic blanket.
Back across the river, the track enters an enchanting patch of ancient rainforest. Be sure to look high in the moss-covered branches for birds nest ferns and orchids. Nearing the end of the path, huge Sydney blue gums soar above, with several short detours leading to secluded river spots, such as Crystal Pools. Round off your walk with a refreshing swim.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.