Protesters Falls walking track
Nightcap National Park
Protesters Falls walking track leads through superb World Heritage rainforest before arriving at spectacular waterfalls in Nightcap National Park, near Lismore.
- Nightcap National Park
- 1.4km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr - 1hr 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- Please be aware that this area may be subject to temporary closure due to flash flooding during, or after heavy periods of rain.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
Nestled in the rugged ranges of Nightcap National Park, World Heritage-listed Protestors Falls walking track leads through magnificent rainforest to a spectacular waterfall. An ideal short walk for families and nature-lovers, it’s a great stop on a driving tour of the beautiful NSW North Coast hinterland, near Lismore.
Named after the Terania Creek protests of the late 1970s that saved this precious patch of pristine rainforest, it’s an important habitat for a range of endangered frogs, including the threatened Fleay’s barred frog and pouched frog.
As you walk along this easy track, you’ll notice how subtropical bangalow palms and native tamarind give way to towering rainforest giants of yellow carabeen and strangler figs. Listen out for the call of the rose-crowned fruit dove and the barred cuckoo-shrike. You might even see a pademelon darting through the bush. If you’ve worked up an appetite, enjoy a leisurely lunch at Terania Creek picnic area.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Alstonville office
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed for lunch, 12pm to 1pm.
- 02 6627 0200
- Russelton Industrial Estate, 7 Northcott Crescent, Alstonville NSW 2477
- in Nightcap National Park in the North Coast region
Nightcap National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.