Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
Starting at Wentworth Falls picnic area, this walk passes epic lookouts with sweeping, amazing views of the waterfall plunging down into the Jamison Valley, before reaching the historic Grand Stairway.
- Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
- 4.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as some sections of the track can become impassable after rain.
- There is limited mobile reception in areas of this park.
Built into the side of the cliff, the National Pass is a spectacular walking track offering unrivalled views of the many natural wonders of the World Heritage-listed Blue Mountains National Park.
Your journey begins at Wentworth Falls picnic area, where you can stroll over to Jamison lookout and take in magnificent views of the valley below. Listen to the cascading water at Wentworth Falls, before tackling the historic Grand Stairway, built by hand in the early 1900’s. As you’re making your way down, spare a thought for the men who built it using picks and shovels, with a bit of dynamite for good measure, more than 100 years ago.
As you enter the Valley of the Waters you’ll be greeted by a set of beautiful waterfalls, including Empress, Silvia and Lodore Falls. Once you’ve climbed back out of the valley, take a break at Conservation Hut and enjoy a warm cuppa.
There is really so much to see along this walk, so be sure to pack your camera to capture the views and wildlife you spot along the way.
Take a virtual tour of National Pass captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Bush Trackers was created to encourage children to engage with the environment in and around the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage area. This program highlights the natural and cultural splendour of the greater Blue Mountains through education initiatives and bushwalks.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- End of Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Katoomba area is always open but some locations may close at times due to maintenance, poor weather or fire danger.