Gloucester Tops circuit
Barrington Tops National Park
Walk through snow gum woodland and ancient rainforest to lookouts and waterfalls, along the Gloucester Tops circuit. This 8km loop combines 3 popular and scenic walks in Barrington Tops National Park.
- 8km loop
- Time suggested
- 3 - 5hrs
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Check the weather before setting out as the road to Gloucester River and Gloucester Tops may be inaccessible during wet weather.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
Gloucester Tops circuit is an excellent option for a shorter day walk, and is a great walk to get a sense of the astonishing diversity within the Gloucester Tops area of Barrington Tops National Park.
Set out from Gloucester Falls picnic area along Gloucester Falls walking track. You’ll walk through open snow gum woodland to Andrew Laurie lookout, on the edge of the escarpment, and on to Gloucester Falls lookout. Join River walking track, and wander amid sub-alpine woodland. Look out for swamp wallabies and grey kangaroos along this walk. In summer, bluebells, rice flowers and billy buttons are an extra treat. You'll then meet, Antarctic Beech Forest walking track, which features cool temperate rainforest with the canopy of Antarctic beech towering above the tree ferns and damp carpet of moss on the forest floor.
As you walk each track together or individually, keep in mind that you are walking through part of the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia. This landscape is millions of years old and plays a critical role in protecting rare and threatened species and sustaining vital resources.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.