Antarctic Beech Forest walking track
Barrington Tops National Park
Antarctic Beech Forest walking track offers rainforest, cascades, scenic views, and birdwatching in Barrington Tops National Park, near Gloucester.
- Barrington Tops National Park
- 2.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr - 1hr 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Gloucester River and Gloucester Tops may be inaccessible during wet weather.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
Step through a portal into the other-worldly charms of Antarctic Beech Forest walking track near Gloucester Tops in Barrington Tops National Park. You’ll wander the lush landscape of the prehistoric Gondwana era on this medium walk near Gloucester, offering some spectacular birdwatching and scenic views.
Forming part of Gloucester Tops circuit, this medium track leads through airy sub-alpine woodlands of snow gums, before entering the shaded world of cool, temperate rainforest. The dense canopy of Antarctic beech is high above, vibrant moss carpets the ground, and the sharp smell of humus fills the air. Tree ferns crowd the track leading to some delightful, mossy cascades.
Dipping between forests of beech and eucalypt, this section is a favourite haunt of the rufous scrub-bird, one of Australia's rarest birds. Descending into a rocky gorge you’ll see wild white water crashing over dramatic black rocks. After a steep climb out, you’ll be ready to enjoy a bite at Gloucester Tops picnic area or Gloucester Falls picnic area.
Take a virtual tour of Antarctic Beech Forest walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.