River walking track
Barrington Tops National Park
Situated in Barrington Tops National Park, share the family-friendly River walking track with wombats, wildflowers and other wildlife. This is a great place for birdwatching near Gloucester.
- 2.5km one-way
- Time suggested
- 1hr - 1hr 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- The return walk via the road is 0.8km
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Gloucester River and Gloucester Tops may be inaccessible during wet weather
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
River walking track is sure to delight the whole family on a nature escape in Barrington Tops National Park, a short drive from Gloucester. The easy track heads west into a shallow valley from Antarctic Beech Forest walking track to Gloucester Tops picnic area, in Gloucester Tops. The kids will love the chance to see wombats, while joining you in a spot of birdwatching.
Snow and mountain gums rise up from a carpet of snow grass and lomandra, while crimson rosellas often flit through the trees. In spring, the valley erupts with a colourful display of wildflowers, such as triggerplants, billy buttons, bluebells, and rice flowers. Crossing a creek, the track meets the quiet flowing Gloucester River. Stop here for a break and you might see wombats, grey kangaroos, and red-necked wallabies.
Stop for a picnic at Gloucester Tops picnic area before returning to your car via the road (0.8km). If you’re ready for more, join the nearby Gloucester Falls walking track to watch the river pour into the valley below.
Take a virtual tour of River walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.