Carrington Falls walking track
Budderoo National Park
Discover fantastic waterfall views on the short Carrington Falls walking track, in Budderoo National Park, near Robertson. It’s a great day trip for families and nature lovers in the Southern Highlands.
- Budderoo National Park
- No wheelchair access
- 0.6km loop
- Time suggested
- 30 - 45min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
Park entry fees apply in the Minnamurra Rainforest area only
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water, suitable clothing
- Please note
- There’s no access to the top of the waterfall.
- For your safety, please respect signage, stay on tracks, and keep well back from cliff edges at all times.
- Please don’t attempt to access the base of the falls. This requires advanced navigation and bush survival skills, including use of topographic maps, GPS and compass. Please tell family and friends of your plans.
This short, family-friendly walk starts from Carrington Falls picnic area, also known as Thomas’ Place picnic area. The track loops around the edge of the escarpment, passing several lookouts. You’ll have ever-changing views of Carrington Falls waterfall, which cascades 90m down to the Kangaroo River below.
Soak up the natural beauty from Falls View lookout, then make your way down a steep metal stairway into a shady rainforest gully for rock-framed views. The track then climbs back up the escarpment, passing Valley View lookout beside Carrington Falls for different views of the waterfall and valley, before returning to the picnic area.
In spring and summer, vibrant wildflowers including waratahs bloom along the track. If you’re lucky, you’ll see a lyrebird scratching in the undergrowth, or a shy swamp wallaby or long-nosed potoroo. Snakes are common in this area, so keep an eye out for red-bellied black snakes, copperheads and tiger snakes in summer.
Enjoy a snack at the picnic area. On the other side of the falls you’ll find Nellies Glen picnic area, where you can take a dip in the waterhole or stretch your legs on the longer Warris Chair or Missingham lookout tracks. Carrington Falls is an easy stop along the scenic Illawarra tourism route.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Australia is home to more than 500,000 animal and plant species, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. Saving our Species is a statewide conservation program that addresses the growing number of Australian animals and Australian native plants facing extinction.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Fitzroy Falls Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4887 7270
- 1301 Nowra Road, Fitzroy Falls NSW 2577
- in Budderoo National Park in the South Coast and Country NSW regions
Budderoo National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger. The park gates at Minnamurra Rainforest Centre open at 9am and close at 5pm every day.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day only in the Minnamurra Rainforest area. Bus or taxi: $4.40 per adult and $2.20 per child.Buy annual pass