Illawarra tourism route
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
See the best of the Illawarra and Southern Highlands touring this scenic driving route. Pack up the car and set off on a road trip from Bowral to Fitzroy Falls and beyond.
- Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
- 120km one-way
- Please note
- If you’re stopping for a swim along the way, please take care in the water and please supervise children at all times.
- Be sure to bring drinking water with you, along with supplies for your vehicle.
- A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters
Take in the beauty of the Southern Highlands, Illawarra and Morton National Park from the comfort of your car on the Illawarra tourism route.
After fuelling up with petrol and a cuppa in Bowral take Nowra Road to Fitzroy Falls, travelling through the rolling hills and pretty pastures of farming country. Stop to walk to the falls and collect maps from the Fitzroy Falls Visitor Centre, then continue on to Belmore Falls, absorbing striking views over the sandstone escarpment and deep valleys as you drive.
From Belmore Falls in Morton National Park, drive through lush rainforest to Robertson; be sure to stop and enjoy a range of cafés, restaurants and bakeries in Robertson.
Stopping for a family photo in front of the Big Potato is a must, and then continue down Jamberoo Mountain Road via Carrington Falls in Budderoo National Park. Enjoy a picnic and the fantastic lookouts at Barren Grounds Nature Reserve before making your way to lovely Kiama. Check out the blowhole, go fishing or relax in one of the seaside cafes.
Then, whenever you’re ready, return to Sydney via Wollongong or head up Macquarie Pass to Bowral and on to Canberra or Sydney.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- Fitzroy Falls Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4887 7270
- 1301 Nowra Road, Fitzroy Falls NSW 2577
- in Barren Grounds Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.