Arakwal National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Tallow Beach.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Tallow Beach is in the eastern precinct of Arakwal National Park. The beach is accessed from Cosy Corner picnic area in Cape Byron State Conservation Area. To get there:
- Take Lawson Street east for approximately 2km from Byron Bay town centre
- Where Lawson Street becomes Lighthouse Road, turn right onto Tallow Beach Road and follow to the end.
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Cosy Corner picnic area. $4 per hour (pay and display machine), or buy an NPWS annual pass.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Arakwal National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Watch from the beach as humpback whales pass by on their way home from the Great Barrier Reef to Antarctica, many with calves.
Take a dip at Tallow Beach to cool off from the summer heat.
Now, the humpback whales are heading north, migrating to the Great Barrier Reef for the cooler months. Don't forget the binoculars.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
20.3°C and 27.2°C
12°C and 19.8°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Toilets and picnic facilities are located at Cosy Corner picnic area
- Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
Maps and downloads
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
- Byron Bay office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6639 8300
- 22 Tallow Beach Road, Byron Bay 2481