Arakwal National Park
Tallow Beach is 3.2km from the heart of Byron Bay and a great place for swimming, birdwatching, whale watching, beach fishing, and just throwing down a towel to soak up the sun.
- Arakwal National Park in North Coast
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Check the tide before you set out as this may affect your beach walking
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
A scenic bridge between Cape Byron State Conservation Area and Broken Head Nature Reserve, Tallow Beach offers a terrific place to throw down a towel and soak up the sun. You could pull out binoculars for an afternoon of whale watching in spring and winter though, as whales migrate between the Great Barrier Reef and Antarctica.
Just 3.2km from the heart of Byron Bay, Tallow Beach is alive with osprey and white-bellied sea eagles scouring the coast in search of food. As you relax on the sand, pied oystercatchers wander past searching for pippis. Avid birdwatchers will find more to see behind the dunes adjacent to residential areas, where many paper bark trees provide plenty of hiding holes for our feathered friends.
Beach fishing is possible here, as well as surfing in the right tide. For swimming and surfing, please be aware of rip tides and keep an eye on children – Tallow Beach is unpatrolled. It is, nevertheless, very popular in summer, the school holidays and Easter, so arrive early for the best spot.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
NSW National Parks first recorded The Pass midden in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in 1980. And, in 2013, ancient archaeological midden material was repatriated and displayed on Country. Today, along with our Aboriginal community partners, NPWS works to protect The Pass midden, both now and into the future.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Byron Bay office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6639 8300
- 22 Tallow Beach Road, Byron Bay 2481
- in Arakwal National Park in the North Coast region
Arakwal National Park is always open but may be closed at times due to storm weather or fire danger.