Orange View picnic area and lookout
Mount Canobolas State Conservation Area
Orange View picnic area and lookout offers views over the city of Orange and surrounding countryside. It’s also close to walking tracks in Mount Canobolas State Conservation Area.
- Picnic areas
- Mount Canobolas State Conservation Area
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, snacks, suitable clothing
- Please note
- Wildflowers and other plants in this area are recovering from a severe 2018 bushfire.
A 20min drive from Orange, this small picnic spot part way up Mount Canobolas is a peaceful place to recharge with a snack and enjoy views before you set out on local walks.
Breathe in the fresh country air as you spread out on a picnic table beneath red stringybark and peppermint trees. Feast your eyes on the city of Orange below, and rolling hills stretching as far as your eye can see. From here you can also see the summit of Mount Canobolas, a dormant volcano.
The best time to come for wildflower displays is spring when the snowgrass understory bursts into life with blooms of violet kunzea, yam daisies, bacon and egg plants and ground orchids.
Bring your binoculars and keep an eye out for endangered flame robins with brilliant orange-red breasts, and crimson rosellas. If you come around dusk, you may hear the haunting call of the boobook owl or the chatter of sugar gliders.
From here there are plenty of opportunities to stretch your legs. The trailhead for Spring Glade walking track is just 1km up the road. Climb this track to the top of Mount Canobolas, then link up to Summits, Nature, Snowgum, and Federal Falls walking tracks.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Things to do:
Spring Glade walking track provides easy access to the summit of Mount Canobolas via a pleasant easy walk through grassy woodland, offering birdwatching and picnic opportunities.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bathurst office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6332 7640
- 02 6332 7680 To contact the KARST Conservation Unit in this office.
- Level 2, 203-209 Russell Street, Bathurst NSW 2795
- in Mount Canobolas State Conservation Area in the Country NSW region
Mount Canobolas State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.