Summits walking track
Mount Canobolas State Conservation Area
Summits walking track joins the two of the peaks within Mount Canobolas State Conservation Area. Walk it as a short walk or longer day walk, enjoying scenic views and birdwatching.
- Mount Canobolas State Conservation Area
- 2.1km return
- Time suggested
- 45min - 1hr 15min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Because of the altitude, the weather can change quite quickly. You should always check the weather forecast before setting out for a walk. It's advisable to bring a jumper with you, and in winter always bring a raincoat and warm clothing.
- Spring Glade, Snowgum and Nature walking tracks connect with Summits walking track – look for signage along the way
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
Summits walking track connects two of the park’s summits, Mount Canobolas (also known as Old Man Canobolas) and Young Man Canobolas, traversing a saddle between to two mountains and joining up with some of the other walking tracks along the way.
Before you head off on the walk, take some time to admire the scenic view from the summit of Old Man Canobolas; you'll be able to see the town of Orange and surrounding countryside.
When you’re on your way, you’ll first hike along a downhill track that passes through snowgum grassy woodland. Keep an eye out for grey currawongs during summer and look for white throated tree creepers. From there, you’ll wind uphill to the summit of Young Man Canobolas.
If you’d like to turn this short walk into a longer day walk, you can join up with the Spring Glade, Snowgum or Nature tracks; look out for signage along the way.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bathurst office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6332 7640
- 02 6332 7680 To contact the KARST Conservation Unit in this office.
- Level 2, 203-209 Russell Street, Bathurst NSW 2795
- in Mount Canobolas State Conservation Area in the Country NSW region
Mount Canobolas State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.