Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Akuna Bay.
Getting there and parking
Akuna Bay is in the Akuna Bay precinct of Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. To get there:
- Follow McCarrs Creek Road and turn onto Liberator General San Martin Drive
- Akuna Bay is part way along scenic Coal and Candle Creek.
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Akuna Bay.
- NSW National Parks provides free, courtesy moorings available to all recreational boat users on Cowan Waters in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- Domestic Commercial Vessels may use courtesy moorings with NPWS consent.
- Vessels must not be left unattended on a courtesy mooring.
- Only one vessel can be attached to each mooring at a time, for a maximum of 24 hours. Attaching other vessels to the moored vessel is not allowed.
- Vessels cannot exceed 14 metres in length.
- There's no need to book, just moor your boat at any of the available yellow buoys marked with a NSW National Parks logo.
- There are 54 moorings in 17 locations and the NPWS mooring locations are shown as a black number inside a yellow circle on this map provided by Department of Roads and Maritime Safety.
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - easy
This area is fully wheelchair accessible. Access is available from the carpark to the marina and cafe.
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
Please note that spear guns and hand spears are not permitted in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. They may not be carried through the park and must not be used within 100m of a beach in the national park.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
Open fires and any form of solid fuel are not allowed.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- 82 Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. You can also pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.
Under the Plan of Management for this park, prior written approval is required for organised groups of 20 or more people planning to visit this park. Contact the park office before your visit.Buy annual pass
Bobbin Head Visitor Centre
688 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah, NSW 2079
- 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 8949
Kalkari Discovery Centre
402 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah NSW 2079
- 9am to 5pm. Closed on Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 9300
- 02 9472 9301
- Kalkari Discovery Centre