Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park
Perrys lookdown offers scenic views over Grose Valley, Blue Gum Forest and Mount Banks, on the western edge of Blue Mountains National Park.
- Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
- Check the weather before you set out and ensure you're well prepared. Weather can be unpredictable in this area and the road to Perrys lookdown can become boggy when it rains.
When it’s time to clear your head and leave the city behind, head for the rustic charm of Perrys lookdown, near Blackheath. Gaze across the scenic Grose Valley while taking in that famous crisp mountain air of Blue Mountains National Park.
From the lookout, you’ll see the imposing sandstone cliffs of Mount Banks, while the towering stand of eucalypts rising from the valley floor is the historic Blue Gum Forest, saved by bushwalkers almost a hundred years ago. While you’re relishing the expansive views, look for yellow-tailed cockatoos and wedge-tailed eagles in the sky above.
If you find it too hard to leave, unroll the sleeping bag and stay overnight at Perrys lookdown campground. If you’re feeling adventurous, head down into the valley along Perrys lookdown to Blue Gum Forest walking track for an invigorating hike through unspoilt wilderness.
Take a virtual tour of Perrys lookdown captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Bush Trackers was created to encourage children to engage with the environment in and around the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage area. This program highlights the natural and cultural splendour of the greater Blue Mountains through education initiatives and bushwalks.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- End of Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Blackheath area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Blackheath area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.