Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Olsens lookout.
Getting there and parking
Olsens lookout is in the southern precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:
- Turn off Alpine Way at the Olsens lookout/Geehi Dam tourist sign
- Follow Olsen’s Road for 9.4 km
- Turn right at Olsens lookout sign
- Olsens lookout is at the end of this road (approximately 600m).
All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on:
- Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher)
- Guthega Road
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
There's parking at the end of Olsens Lookout Road in a gravel carpark.
There's a picnic table set along a paved path at the lookout.
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
There's step-free access from the carpark to the lookout platform along a 1m wide paved path which leads to a wooden boardwalk.
The boardwalk is a gentle ramp with a maximum gradient of 1:14 that slopes upwards to to the lookout platform.
- Step-free outdoor pathways
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
Olsens lookout is mostly flat and step-free, with a 1m-wide paved pathway that leads from the gravel carpark to a wooden boardwalk.
The boardwalk is a gentle ramp that slopes upwards to to the lookout platform with a maximum gradient of 1:14.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Khancoban Visitor Centre
- Winter (June to September): Open 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm on weekends. Rest of year: Open 9am to 4pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6070 8400
- 2 Scammel Street, Khancoban NSW 2642
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Single and Multi-Day passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines, or via the Park'nPay app.Buy annual pass