Minyon Falls lookout
Nightcap National Park
Minyon Falls lookout offers stunning views of the waterfall and rainforest. With easy parking and picnic spots, it's a great day trip location for people visiting Byron Bay.
- Nightcap National Park in North Coast
- What to
- Drinking water
- Please note
- Please note there is no public access within 100m of the top of Minyon Falls.
- Check the weather before you visit Minyon Falls, as the falls might not be flowing strongly if you are visiting during a dry spell. They will be at its most impressive after wet weather.
The view from Minyon Falls lookout is the best in the area. From the lookout platform you can admire not only the falls themselves and the valley beneath, on a clear day you might be lucky and see all the way out to the coast.
Watch the cascades flow over Minyon Falls to a deep palm-shaded gorge roughly 100m below, and enjoy the sounds of local wildlife, the peaceful ambience and the spectacular natural surroundings. The tops of the cliffs are forested with Australian eucalypts, like blackbutt and scribbly gum, and a beautiful pool at the base of the falls is an ideal place to cool off and relax.
Minyon Falls is great for a quick stop, but if you’d like to spend longer at this majestic location there's a picnic area with plenty of shady trees and picnic tables. There are also a couple of bushwalks that leave from the picnic area, including Boggy Creek walk which leads to Rummery Park campground, and Minyon Falls walking track which takes you down to the base of the falls.
And while Minyon Falls does offer stunning vistas and beautiful scenery, it's more than just a spot of visual grandeur. It's also a special place for the local Aboriginal community.
Minyon Falls walking track
Popular with visitors to the Byron Bay area, Minyon Falls walking track leads through rainforest to a scenic waterfall in Nightcap National Park, in northern NSW.
Boggy Creek walk
Boggy Creek walk in Whian Whian State Conservation Area takes you through blackbutt forest and along the beautiful Boggy Creek to Minyon Falls. You can swim in the inviting pools along the creek.
Whian Whian mountain biking trails
Suitable for bushwalkers, cyclists and horseriders, Whian Whian mountain biking trails near Byron Bay offer stunning views of waterfalls and rainforest.
Minyon Grass picnic area
Minyon Grass picnic area, at the base of Minyon Falls in Nightcap National Park, near Lismore, is a beautiful place for lunch, offering a range of rainforest walks.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Download our app
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Alstonville office
- Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
- 02 6627 0200
- Russelton Industrial Estate, 7 Northcott Crescent, Alstonville NSW 2477
- in Nightcap National Park in the North Coast region
Nightcap National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, fire danger or management operations.
Things to do (55)
- Aboriginal culture (4)
- Adventure sports (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (15)
- Cafes and kiosks (4)
- Canoeing/paddling (3)
- Cultural heritage (1)
- Cycling (5)
- Fishing (5)
- Historic heritage (6)
- Horse riding (4)
- Other experiences (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (13)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (22)
- Snorkelling and scuba (2)
- Surfing (9)
- Swimming (9)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (25)
- Waterfalls (12)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)