Minyon Grass picnic area
Nightcap National Park
Minyon Grass picnic area, at the base of Minyon Falls in Nightcap National Park, near Lismore, is a beautiful place for lunch, offering a range of rainforest walks.
- Picnic areas
- Nightcap National Park
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
On the eastern edge of Nightcap National Park, near Lismore, Minyon Grass picnic area has beautiful views of the cascading falls and the surrounding forest. It’s a little quieter than popular Minyon Falls lookout, making it ideal for wildlife and birdwatching enthusiasts.
Take advantage of the free gas barbecues, as well as picnic tables, and enjoy a leisurely lunch on the edge of the rainforest. Look skywards for soaring peregrine falcons, or to the forest floor for brush turkeys and Albert’s lyrebird. Male Albert's lyrebirds have long, ribbon-like tail plumes. You might even hear the call of the threatened Fleay’s barred frog.
If you feel like a walk, head along Minyon Falls walking track and enjoy the invigorating waterfalls close up. The pools at the base of Minyon Falls are a great spot for a refreshing swim on a hot summer day.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Alstonville office
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed for lunch, 12pm to 1pm.
- 02 6627 0200
- Russelton Industrial Estate, 7 Northcott Crescent, Alstonville NSW 2477
- in Nightcap National Park in the North Coast region
Nightcap National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.