Minyon Grass picnic area
Nightcap National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Minyon Grass picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Minyon Grass picnic area is in the eastern precinct of Nightcap National Park. To get there:
- Follow Bangalow–Lismore Road to Clunes. Turn right onto James Gibson Road, right onto Mackie Road, and then right onto Rosebank Road.
- Drive through Rosebank village and follow Repentance Creek Road, turn left onto Upper Coopers Creek Road, and then left onto Minyon Falls Road.
- Continue on this road until you reach the park entrance and Minyon Grass picnic area is on the left.
- Head north on Dunoon Road through the villages of Modanville, Dunoon and Doroughby.
- Just past Dorroughby Hall, turn left onto Nightcap Range Road and follow through to Whian Whian State Conservation Area entrance.
- Continue until you reach the Peates Mountain Road intersection, where you’ll pass Minyon Falls picnic area. Minyon Grass picnic area is a further 1.7km.
From the north
- Turn right onto Coolamon Scenic Drive, off Pacific Highway. At the village of Federal, continue north along Federal Road then turn left onto Repentance Creek Road.
- After Coopers Creek crossing, turn right onto Upper Coopers Creek Road then left onto Minyon Falls Road.
- Continue on this road until you reach the national park entrance. Minyon Grass picnic area is at the top of the hill on the left.
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Minyon Grass picnic area can become boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Minyon Grass picnic area. It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Nightcap National Park. Here are some of the highlights: Weather in the northern rivers region is generally mild in winter ranging to hot in summer. It can be very wet (the park receives the highest annual rainfall in NSW) and misty so check local weather conditions and pack suitable clothes as well as a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
18°C and 29°C
6°C and 19°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
Maps and downloads
- Assistance may be required to access this area
- The picnic tables and toilets are wheelchair-accessible
- Alstonville office
- Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
- 02 6627 0200
- Russelton Industrial Estate, 7 Northcott Crescent, Alstonville NSW 2477