Newnes Industrial Ruins walk
Wollemi National Park
Take a walk through historic Newnes Industrial Ruins in Wollemi National Park, near Lithgow. You won’t forget the eerie experience of walking among ruins that are gradually being reclaimed by nature.
- Wollemi National Park
- No wheelchair access
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, sunscreen, hat
- Please note
- The Ruins carpark is only accessible by 4WD or rock hopping on foot across the Wolgan River. Please don’t try crossing the river in a 2WD.
- If crossing the river on foot, you'll need to add an extra 1km (approx. 20-30mins) each way to the Ruins carpark.
- Please don’t climb the fragile ruins as they can be unstable
- Remember to stay on the track as there are hidden holes off the track
Located at the head of the Wolgan Valley, enjoy this fascinating walk into the history of Newnes – once the site of a thriving shale oil mining industry. You’ll see some remarkably well-preserved remnants of the area’s mining history, including old coke ovens, brick kilns, paraffin sheds and crumbling walls.
Starting at the Ruins carpark, the walking track zig zags across the large site, which is on a steep slope. The 15m ‘Big Wall’ is a highlight, and the unique beehive kilns are the largest of their type in Australia. Keep an eye out for wedge-tailed eagles soaring above.
Follow the route of the railway line back to the carpark. If walking from the river crossing, you'll need to add an extra 1km each way. Why not stay the night under the stars at Newnes campground with the local wombats and wallabies.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- 270 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in Wollemi National Park in the Sydney and surrounds, North Coast and Country NSW regions
Wollemi National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.