The Basin campground
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
All the practical information you need to know about The Basin campground.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
The Basin campground is on the western foreshores of Pittwater in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. To get there:
- It's best to Take the ferry which leaves from Palm Beach Wharf
- If you're camping at The Basin and arriving by ferry from Palm Beach, please drop your camping gear at the ferry wharf. Leave your car in the seasonal carpark at the Careel Bay Sporting Fields, then catch the 199 bus back to the wharf. The 199 bus comes every 15 minutes, and it's just a short 5 minute ride.
- If you choose to arrive by car, please note that getting to and from the campground involves a steep 2.8km walk from the West Head Road carpark (West Head Road gates are locked between 8.30pm – 6am during daylight savings and 6pm – 6am at other times)
- If you own a boat, anchor in the sheltered bay opposite the picnic and campground.
- Drive or ride through the park along West Head Road, then walk or cycle along the steep 2.8km Basin walking track to The Basin campground.
Park entry points
- Palm Beach ferry wharf carpark See on map
There is no vehicle access.
If driving to the track entry of the campground, limited parking is available in West Head Road carpark, 2.8km from the campground.
Best times to visit
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park offers an exceptional visit all year round. You're sure to find a walk, tour, activity or attraction to appeal, regardless of the season.
If you're interested in wildflower displays, set aside a day in August or September to stroll through the park's blooming heathlands.
Bring your fishing gear and go camping at The Basin.
Barrenjoey Head (on the other side of Pittwater, but still in the park) is an excellent spot for whale watching. Take the Barrenjoey Lighthouse Walk between May and August or celebrate International Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend in August.
- The campground has unmarked sites for tents. Sites are unpowered.
- Please dispose of all rubbish into the rubbish bins provided.
- Nearby Beechwood Cottage is a historic property at the campground available for functions, please book in advance.
- Ice, bait, solar water bags and some firewood are sold from 9.45am – 10am and 2.45pm – 3pm from the campground manager.
Hand-wash laundry basins
- Flush toilets
Fires are only permitted in designated wood barbecues or fire pits. Fire pits can be booked onsite only and cannot be booked in advance. Firewood can be purchased at the campground.
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Wood barbecues
- Cold showers
Maps and downloads
Fees and passes
Daily Entry Fees and Landing Fees apply at the Basin campground.
Daily Entry Fees: If travelling by motor vehicle to the campground, daily entry fees are not included in your camping fees. Daily fees for Ku-ring-gai National Park are payable at the Entry Station to the park. Annual passes can be purchased online prior to arrival.
Landing Fees: If you’re arriving at the campground by water, landing fees are included in your camping fees. Day visitors must pay landing fees, which are payable at the campground wharf through an honesty box. Please note, annual passes do not cover landing fees.
Disability access level - medium
Assistance may be required to access this area.
- Wheelchair access is by ferry only
- Wheelchair-accessible toilet
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
Please note that spear guns and hand spears are not permitted in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. They may not be carried through the park and must not be used within 100m of a beach in the national park.
The Basin is a family friendly campground. Please be considerate of others during your stay:
- For the comfort of all campground visitors, we ask that you keep noise to a minimum. Noise restrictions apply after 10pm.
- Underage drinking is not permitted
- Visitors displaying anti-social, offensive or dangerous behaviour will be asked to leave the campground.
The use of recreational drones are currently prohibited in this park due to safety reasons. The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) states that drones should not be flown within 30m of vehicles, boats, buildings or people, or within 5.5km of an airfield. Drones can also impact on public enjoyment and privacy, interfere with park operations, and may pose a threat to wildlife in some areas.
Please contact the park office for consent if you wish to fly a drone for commercial filming or photography purposes. For more information, see the Drones in Parks policy.
Gathering firewood and the use of heat beads is not permitted. Firewood can be purchased at the campground.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy an annual pass.
- Bobbin Head Information Centre
02 9472 8949
Contact hours: 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- Bobbin Head, Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah NSW 2080
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bobbin Head Information Centre
Bobbin Head Information Centre
Bobbin Head, Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah NSW 2080
- 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 8949
Kalkari Discovery Centre
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah NSW 2080
- 9am to 5pm daily. 9am to 4pm daily in June and July. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 9300
- 02 9472 9301
- Kalkari Discovery Centre