Old Geehi campground
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Old Geehi campground.
Getting there and parking
Old Geehi campground is in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park.
To get there from Khancoban via Geehi Walls trail:
- Take Alpine Way south for around 34.5km.
- Turn right onto Geehi Walls trail and follow for around 3.5km.
- Turn left onto Geehi Hut Road and follow for 1km to the campground.
To get there from Khancoban via Geehi Flats and Behrs Flat:
- Please note this route has 2 river crossings.
- Take Alpine Way south for 36km.
- Turn right into Geehi Flats campground and picnic area, just before the Swampy Plain River bridge crossing.
- Cross the river at the ford to the southern riverbank and onto Behrs Flat. If the river is too high to cross, you can take the 4WD-only trail on the southern side of the bridge.
- The trail continues behind Keebles Hut, where you’ll need to ford the river again, onto Round Flat.
- Follow the road to an intersection and turn left to reach the campground.
To get there from Jindabyne:
- Travel west along Kosciuszko Road for 3km, then turn left onto Alpine Way.
- Continue along Alpine Way for 78km to the bridge crossing over Swampy Plain River, with Geehi Flats campground on the other side.
- Continue 1.5km along Alpine Way, beyond Geehi Flats, and turn left onto Geehi Walls trail, then turn left onto Geehi Hut Road.
- You can also turn into Geehi Flats campground and ford the river to the southern riverbank, then continue to Behrs Flat.
- The trail continues behind Keebles Hut, where you’ll need to ford the river again, onto Round Flat, then turn left at the intersection to reach the campground.
All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on:
- Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher)
- Guthega Road
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
- Unsealed roads
- All roads require 4WD vehicle
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available at Old Geehi campground.
- Water is not available at this campground.
- Firewood is not provided and may not be collected from the park.
- Rubbish bins are not available – please take rubbish with you when leaving.
- Phone and internet facilities are available at Khancoban, Thredbo and Jindabyne.
- Non-flush toilets
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
- Fire rings (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
Hard access is via steps or a steep slope, or you'll have to move across a rough surface with obstacles such as potholes, tree roots, and rocks. Assistance will be necessary.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
You’ll need to bring your own firewood. Campfires and solid fuel burners may be subject to temporary bans during summer fire season. Gas or fuel stoves are recommended.
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Entry passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines.Buy annual pass