Black Swamp campground
Barrington Tops National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Black Swamp campground.
Getting there and parking
Black Swamp campground is in the Barrington Tops precinct of Barrington Tops National Park. The campground can only be accessed by foot. To get there:
- Take Thunderbolts Way; this road becomes Scone Road and Barrington Tops Forest Road.
- Turn left into Barrington trail at Barrington trail picnic area located on the left after passing Devils Hole.
- Follow Barrington trail for approximately 12.5km to Junction Pools campground.
- Barrington trail is only open to vehicles from October 1 – May 31.
- From Junction Pools campground follow Aeroplane Hill walking track for approximately 4km to the campground.
- Take the Hunter Road from Scone
- Turn right on to Moonan Brook Road, then turn left on Barrington Tops Forest Road.
- Turn into Barrington trail, which is on the right 1km past Polblue.
- Follow Barrington trail for around 12.5km to Junction Pools campground.
From Mount Barrington picnic area:
- Follow Barrington trail for approximately 15km to Mount Barrington picnic area.
- From Mount Barrington picnic area follow Careys Peak walking track for approximately 10km to the campground.
Alternatively, the campground can also be accessed via:
- Unsealed roads
- All roads require 4WD vehicle
- Dry weather only
Parking is available at Junction Pools campground and Mount Barrington picnic area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Barrington Tops National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Take to the park's walking tracks to make the most of cooler and drier daytime weather.
Look out for ground orchids and other wildflowers along the Polblue Swamp walking track.
Look out for the eastern water dragon basking on rocks around the streams.
Non-flush toilets are located at Wombat Creek campground.
Maps and downloads
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
Keep campfires small or use a camp stove instead.
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.