Careys Peak walking track
Barrington Tops National Park
Scone access only
The severe weather event in March 2021 has severely damaged Barrington Tops Forest Road, forcing Forestry Corporation of NSW to close the road. Until the road is fixed you can only access this location from Scone (the west). You can't access it from Gloucester (the east).
Easy Careys Peak walking track offers picnicking, scenic views, birdwatching, and historic heritage in the sub-alpine region of Barrington National Park, near Scone.
- Barrington Tops National Park
- 14km return
- Time suggested
- 12hrs - 1 day
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- Barrington trail is open to vehicles from October 1 – May 31
- If you’re bushwalking in this park, it’s a good idea to bring a topographic map and compass, or a GPS.
- The nearest toilets are located at Wombat Creek campground
For an invigorating walk in the spectacular high country of Barrington Tops National Park, between Scone and Gloucester, you can’t miss Careys Peak walking track. The walk leads from Mount Barrington picnic area, along the eastern rim of the escarpment, to Careys Peak lookout.
This track winds through the wooded plateau country of majestic snow and mountain gums. Antarctic beech trees and remnants of the ancient Gondwana rainforests emerge over the edge of the cliff tops in several spots. Be sure to check out historic Careys Peak hut on your way to the summit.
Unpack a picnic lunch at the lookout and enjoy priceless views across the Barrington wilderness and Hunter Valley. If you’re lucky, you might catch a glimpse of a wedge-tailed eagle surfing the thermals above the valley.
Take a virtual tour of Careys Peak walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.