Wingham Brush boardwalk
Wingham Brush Nature Reserve
Wingham Brush boardwalk connects several walking tracks for a wheelchair friendly experience in the rainforest. Enjoy birdwatching and see a grey-headed flying fox roosting site.
- 1.9km return
- Time suggested
- 30 - 45min
- Grade 2
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, binoculars
- Please note
- The roosting site can be noisy, smelly, and messy with flying-fox droppings. It's a good idea to keep your mouth closed and wear glasses when looking up at the flying-foxes.
- Try not to make too much noise at the roosting site as it disturbs these protected mammals and can effect their breeding effectiveness.
Wingham Brush boardwalk is a gateway to the incredible world of plants, birds and threatened grey-headed flying foxes in the rainforest. Set out from the carpark at the end of Farquhar Street, along Graham Allen walking track. The wheelchair-friendly boardwalk is raised above the forest floor to protect this Threatened Ecological Community (TEC).
You'll soon connect with Flying Fox circuit, where you’ll find yourself standing directly under a flying foxes' roosting site. Learn about the plants and animals that live here from the informative signage along the way, or just admire the gigantic Moreton Bay fig, stinging, and white cedar trees.
From here, you can loop back to your start point, or continue west along Graham Allen walking track to meet Regenerators walk. Keep your eyes out for land mullets and brush turkeys in the undergrowth and listen for the distinct calls of the green catbird and wompoo fruit-dove.
Why not pack a picnic, make a day of it and enjoy picnicking, swimming and fishing at nearby Wingham River Park? Then, sit by the banks of the river and watch the flying foxes flying out at sunset.
Tours and events at this location
Walk alongside a NPWS Discovery Ranger and explore a vibrant life under the canopy of subtropical rainforest at Wingham Brush Nature Reserve.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Taree office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6552 4097
- 78 Hargreaves Drive, Taree NSW 2430
- in Wingham Brush Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Wingham Brush Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, flooding, or for the benefit of the flying foxes during breeding.