Western Ridge walking track
Mutawintji National Park
Western Ridge walking track is a spectacular walk for fit bushwalkers. From the ridge you'll overlook the vast desert plains and the beautiful Bynguano Range. It's especially beautiful at sunset.
- Mutawintji National Park in Outback NSW
- 6km loop
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 5
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- In wet weather, access within the park maybe closed, and the public roads are susceptible to weather closures. Please check with the park office before you head out.
- If you’re planning to watch the sunset on Western Ridge walking track, please take a torch with you.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
Also known as Sunset Ridge trail, Western Ridge walking track is a spectacular hike if you’re into rugged scenery and enjoy a challenging walk. Allow around 3 hours to complete.
Starting from Homestead Creek campground, the track is very steep in sections, but the breathtaking scenic views in every direction make it well worth the effort. Time this walk in the afternoon for one of the most beautiful sunsets you’re likely to experience.
Following the red markers as you climb the ridge, look for wedge tailed eagles and pink cockatoos. A birdwatching paradise, corellas and finches are often seen flitting through the mallee scrub.
As you clamber up, drink in the views all around you. From the vast western desert plains to the dramatic gorges and rich red ochres of the Bynguano Range to the east, you’ll feel on top of the world. For more big sky views, try the Bynguano Range walking track.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Mutawintji National Park joint management program
Located in semi-arid lands near Broken Hill, Mutawintji National Park, Mutawintji Historic Site and Mutawintji Nature Reserve are all rich in Aboriginal history and culture. NSW National Parks and the Mutawintji Board of Management are working together to ensure their preservation.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Broken Hill office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 08 8084 2880
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- in Mutawintji National Park in the Outback NSW region
Mutawintji National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (10)
- Aboriginal culture (5)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (2)
- Cultural heritage (3)
- Historic heritage (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (2)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (2)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (7)