Western Ridge walk
Mutawintji National Park
A spectacular walk for the fit as this trail is steep in some sections. From the ridge you overlook the vast desert plains and the beautiful Byngnano Range - wonderful at sunset. The walk can take up to 3 hours to complete.
- Mutawintji National Park
- 6km loop
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 5
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- In wet weather, access within the park maybe closed, and the public roads are susceptible to weather closures. Please check with the park office before you head out.
- If you’re planning to watch the sunset on Western Ridge walk, please take a torch with you.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
Also known as Sunset Ridge trail, it’s a spectacular hike if you’re into rugged scenery and enjoy a challenging walk. Very steep in sections, however the breathtaking scenic views in every direction make it well worth the effort. Time this walk in the afternoon for one of the most beautiful sunsets you’re likely to experience.
Following the red markers as you climb the ridge, look for wedge tailed eagles and pink cockatoos. A birdwatching paradise, corellas and finches are often seen flitting through the mallee scrub.
As you clamber up, drink in the views all around you. From the vast western desert plains to the dramatic gorges and rich red ochres of the Byngnano Range to the east, you’ll feel on top of the world. For more big sky views, try the Bynguano Range walking track.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Located in semi-arid lands near Broken Hill, Mutawintji National Park, Mutawintji Historic Site and Mutawintji Nature Reserve are all rich in Aboriginal history and culture. NSW National Parks and the Mutawintji Board of Management are working together to ensure their preservation.
- in Mutawintji National Park in the Outback NSW region
Mutawintji National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Broken Hill office
08 8080 3200
Contact hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Broken Hill office