Tree Fern Forest walking track
Gibraltar Range National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Tree Fern Forest walking track.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
3 - 4hrs
Quality of markings
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Tree Fern Forest walking track starts from Mulligans campground in Gibraltar Range National Park. To get there:
- From Glen Innes, drive 68km east towards Grafton along the Gwydir Highway.
- From Grafton, drive 92km west towards Glen Innes along the Gwydir Highway.
- Drive along Mulligans Drive for 9km to the campground. 9km of these roads are unsealed.
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Mulligans campground.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Gibraltar Range National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
The most popular time of the year to visit, spring sees the park erupt into a vibrant display of wildflowers, including the Gibraltar waratah.
Take in an early morning bushwalk before the day heats up, then cool down in one of the many waterways, like the Little Dandahra Creek.
It can be below freezing at night, but the daytime temperatures make this the best time of the year to take in some of the longer treks like the Gibraltar-Washpool World Heritage walk.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
13°C and 24.1°C
1°C and 13.2°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Non-flush toilets, picnic tables, barbecues and car parking are available at Mulligans campground, near the start of this walk.
- Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it's a good idea to bring your own.
- There are no bins, you’ll need to take all rubbish away with you.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Cycling is not permitted on this walk. If you’d like to cycle in the park, you can do so along World Heritage Walk and management trails.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Glen Innes office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6739 0700
- 68 Church Street, Glen Innes NSW 2370
- in Gibraltar Range National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Gibraltar Range National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, road damage, or high fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park uses a self-registration fee collection system. Please bring the correct change and display your receipt.Buy annual pass